Ingrown hairs are a common and persistent problem for people who shave, tweeze, or wax their thick, curly hair. This occurs when the hair curls back into the skin instead of growing outward, causing itchy, painful, and inflamed bumps across the body. Ingrown hairs most commonly occur in areas where the hair is the most coarse, including the underarms, legs, bikini area, face, and neck.
What Causes Ingrown Hair?
The most common cause of ingrown hair is improper hair removal techniques. Shaving too close to the skin or in the opposite direction of natural hair growth allows sharp ends of the hair to enter the skin's surface as it is regrowing. Most hair removal methods only remove visible hair strands, not the hair follicles.
Sometimes, ingrown hairs are due to dead skin cells clogging the hair follicles. This disrupts the natural direction of hair growth, causing the hair to grow underneath the skin.
How to Treat Ingrown Hairs
In order to fully eliminate ingrown hairs, we must target the root of the problem: the hair follicles. Laser hair removal in Toronto is the most effective method of treating ingrown hairs as it applies heat to the follicle until it can no longer produce hair. Throughout a number of sessions, the hair follicle becomes increasingly smaller until it is permanently removed. This is why laser hair removal is more practical and effective than other methods of hair removal. Shaving, waxing, and tweezing are not able to reach or remove the follicles beneath the skin. They instead disrupt the natural direction of hair growth, resulting in ingrown hairs.
Benefits of Laser Hair Removal for Ingrown Hair
1. Permanent Hair Reduction: As the laser works to destroy the hair follicles overtime, ingrown hairs also decrease throughout the process.
2. Minimal Pain: Laser hair removal is not only less painful than alternative hair removal methods, such as waxing, it also alleviates the pain associated with ingrown hairs
3. Smooth Skin: The issue of razor bumps and textured skin caused by improper shaving can be avoided with laser hair removal.
4. Improved Confidence: The permanent removal and reduction of ingrown hairs can enhance self-confidence and allow individuals to feel more comfortable in their own skin.
5. Avoidance of Traditional Hair Removal Methods: Improper shaving, waxing, and plucking techniques can lead to ingrown hair. Laser treatments performed by licensed professionals will ensure the removal of hair in a safe and effective manner.
Is Laser Hair Removal the Right Choice?
At Body and Soul Clinic, we use the Soprano XL™/ICE™ laser machine that ensures safe, effective, and painless treatments on all skin types. Laser hair removal works best on individuals with thick, dark, and coarse hair, making people with ingrown hairs an ideal candidate. Throughout 6-12 sessions, you will see a reduction in body hair, and more specifically ingrown hairs. We treat the hair growth in almost every body area, including underarms, legs, bikini area, face, and neck.
How to Get Started
Body and Soul Clinic is offering free online consultations to help you understand the laser hair removal process. You will also receive a complimentary underarm session after your consultation to experience the process first hand and decide if laser hair removal is the right choice for you.
Book your online consultation here: